Friday, January 16, 2015

Mr.D. About Kenneth Arnold and the "Flying Saucers" invention

If you watch the picture of Kenneth Arnold and his "flying saucers" you can learn a few things, Fogg.
The objects shown in the graphic are of course aerodynamic, and people who went into the UFO hysteria after Arnold sighting,  were ready to turn airplanes and even birds into Flying Saucers. Now let's see what Arnold said about his sighting:
   ARNOLD: That's right. Now of course some of the reports they did take from newspapers which did not quote me properly. Now, when I told the press, they misquoted me, and in the excitement of it all, one newspaper and another on got it as ensnarled up that nobody knew just exactly what they were talking about, I guess. 
    These objects more or less fluttered like they were, oh, I'd say, boats on very rough water or very rough air of some type, and when I described how they flew, I said that they flew like they take a saucer and throw it across the water. Most of the newspapers misunderstood and misquoted that too. They said that I said that they were saucer-like; I said that they flew in a saucer-like fashion.
The Flying Saucers are from the beginning a mistaken identity, but truth is that after the journalist invents the F.S., people forgets the aerodynamic design shown by Arnold and see ..."Flying Saucers".
The misquotation is planted as a powerful meme and...works better than the original design..!
In my view, Kenneth Arnold in the picture is showing to the public the original design, a bird-like and airplane-like artifact, but the journalists  were more effective that the script-writer.
More, Kenneth Arnold without knowing it defined with a few words the future of this misinterpretation now called UFO. Arnold says this: " nobody knew just exactly what they were talking about, I guess." 
68 years after the Kenneth Arnold sighting, "nobody knows just exactly what they are talking about..."

No comments: